PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says Delta Pilot Error
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2016, 13:07
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not a pain in the rear at all. Hand over control just before TOD, take over control either around 1000' when visual and all is stable or at minimums (if applicable). It's really very, very easy and takes just a few minutes to get used to. I much prefer it to the 'whole sector'-type flight that you're used to. Horses, courses etc etc.
Point taken, but if the CA does the approach until all is stable, when does a new FO (or CA) on type get to learn from his mistakes? Getting burned is part of the learning process, and if you get the plane handed to you on a silver platter, so to speak, when do you learn how NOT to set up for an approach, and how to fix it when you've done it incorrectly?

No need to be facetious just because it's not the way you do things.
I'm not being facetious (ok, maybe just a little), but it's a serious question. On my type, to select reverse, I slide my hand forward a bit and pull back. That requires far fewer brain cells than managing thrust in flight, particularly on a windy approach.

If managing thrust is so difficult during the rollout, it should follow that the PM should manage the thrust while in flight, so the PF can concentrate on doing other things. That seems to be the logical extension to that line of reasoning.

PS. You're absolutely right- the whole thing seems foreign to me, as I've never heard of that procedure before. From the outside, it seems like an unnecessarily complicated procedure.