PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2016, 16:56
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But the TOGA buttons SHOULDN'T have been pressed here! The thrust levers should have been PUSHED forward!
The WRONG procedure was used for this particular manouvre!

The crux of my thinking is this: you are under stress and select an automatic function e.g. press TOGA and expect, in error, the TL's to advance. Being suspicious of these new fangled bells and whistles you follow through and discover PDQ that somehow, but not to wonder about, the electrons didn't link up as expected and the dastardly TL's did not do as instructed but went AWOL. You give them a clip round the ear and insert your digit up their backside. Hey presto the engines spring into life and resume their normal function. All in the twinkling of an eye. Problem solved. To be discussed on the ground/bar.
The thought of many is that what is missing from too many pilots is having blind belief in what you have selected will indeed happen, and during critical phases your hands are in the wrong place incase it doesn't. This suspicious nature would have saved the day. It's not that he shouldn't have pressed the TOGA, it is that when he did and it didn't do what he wanted then he should have done what was necessary. IMHO the tactile feedback of lack of movement would be far more valuable than an FMA display telling you it hadn't responded.

I've nowt more to say on the matter, but it might be an on going ramble for Clegg, Compo & Foggy over a drawn out cuppa in the cafe. Nora Batty will be the adjudicator and she'll publish her report "oh do stop messing about and get on with it" in about 3 years.