PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3rd opinion wanted from engine smarty pants
Old 20th Sep 2016, 14:43
DeltaV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my view on such things, for what it's worth.

Barrels when new are honed, that is they have a pattern of sharp 'scratches' in the bore. New rings are slightly overlarge and are sprung into the barrel but that deformation means that the curve of the ring cannot be exactly circular so sealing contact with the barrel will not be perfect around the ring. During break-in the sharp honing of the bore will abrade the rings to conformity while at the same time that sharp honing will be dulled by the rings so the ability of the honing to wear the rings will quite quickly be lost. Post break-in the rings should be perfectly lapped to the bores.

Disrupt that established setup, as with a prop strike inspection and it might be impossible to get everything back to just how it was. And while the honing will still be visible in the bores and able to hold an oil film it will no longer be sharp and abrasive, therefore no longer able to lap the rings to the bores in their new relationship. Sealing between the rings and bores will be less than perfect resulting in blow-by, high crankcase pressure and oil loss.

The situation may be further complicated by one cylinder having routinely run hotter than the others so that it might not be truly circular. That would exacerbate the problem of getting rings back into their previous alignment.

I suspect this maybe what you are now having to contend with so my opinion is that the bores may have to be honed, new rings fitted and the engine broken in again.

Perhaps one way to check if all this is likely is to measure the crankcase pressure, engine running, but for that to be meaningful you'd need to have some sort of 'normal' reference to evaluate against.