PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone actually like it out here anymore?
Old 20th Sep 2016, 13:57
Laker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone is reading this thread with the idea of joining EK make sure you do your research. I guess there are still some happy pilots here but they are few and far between. I'm on my way out and I don't regret my time here. It's been quite an adventure and leaving is going to be a bit emotional.

When I joined I was getting 16-17 days off per month and having a blast. The last 2 years have been a steady diet of 8-10 days off per month. I became an airline pilot so I could work 10 days per month, not have 8-10 days off per month. You will work harder than you thought possible here and there is a higher level of stress at this company than you are probably familiar with if you come from a union environment.

Dubai has some interesting things to offer. Most of them revolve around shopping and 'luxury' things. For me the excitement of nice cars, clubbing, fancy restaurants, and 5 star hotels didn't last long. After a few years it all felt a bit empty. It can be a bit of a mirage. I used to love hitting the beach or going dune bashing with friends. But now you might get back from a ULR, have 2 days off to recover, and then be rostered for a night turn to India. Basically you spend the first off day in bed. The second day doing laundry, errands, etc and then it's time to fly another brutal pairing. It really wears you out over time.

The allure of a widebody command is quite strong. Be sure you know what you are signing up for.