PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Panic in Pilots
Thread: Panic in Pilots
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2003, 10:14
Surditas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panic is an interesting and emotive word.
From a military perspective (I'm still fairly junior, mind) I've not seen or experienced what I would define as panic. My definition of panic would be something like "extreme physiological/psychological condition brought on by by perception of imminent pain, injury or death"
I would think it a rare thing that aircrew knew, for a reasonable period before-hand, that they were about to face pain, injury or death. Aircraft accidents (CFIT, collision, SAM) can occur before the crew is aware anything is wrong. In other cases, say an uncontollable engine fire leading to a wing burning off, are rare. In that case, most folks I know would be doing everything they could to keep the jet flying and crashing is the last thing they'd be thinking about. Therefore panic shouldn't enter into it.
On pilots' course we worked to some strict heights and speeds "Engine failure at XXX, I abort, engine failure at XXX I put it back on the deck, engine failure at XXX I eject" We practiced EFATO's so damn much that it bacame a drill. Of course, never did a real EFATO, but I think the training would take over, so to speak.
Aircrew seemed programmed to "do something" in emergencies.