PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2016, 12:34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Less verbal diarrhoea and more sim training/practice, and more basic IF so when things go crazy, the basics kick in: power + attitude.
I believe we have already established, hundreds of manual approaches wouldn't have helped our colleague fly this particular manouvre. For all we know, he might love flying manually?

I also explained, at the top of this page, why simple "power + attitude" can on occasion be a pretty stupid (because it's less safe!) way of operating a modern jet!

It's familiarity with this particular manouvre that would have allowed him to preserve life. Nothing else.

That means a training program from the operator that is fit for purpose, and regularly refreshing the neural pathways whilst on the line.

As for "verbal diahorrea", perhaps you don't brief anything at all? (Some captains are like that!) I personally have always briefed go-around after landing actions moderately frequently. For 3 reasons:

A) Because I operate to fairly short runways from time to time, so on those occasions it's a favourite briefing point of mine.
B) Because it's a very easy manouvre to get wrong.
C) Because in my advancing years, I am no longer that sharp, and I need all the prior preparation I can get!

Of course, briefing it when it's appropriate does mean that it probably won't have been too long since I briefed it last. So if I get it totally by surprise, I just might stand a chance of getting it right!

Does that help?

Last edited by 4468; 20th Sep 2016 at 12:53.