PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2016, 11:27
Prophead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shed we have argued these points before and I am not going go through it again. If there are projects in other parts of the UK that can secure private investment and provide the same kind of benefit then let them go ahead too.

If foreign investment is not as forthcoming then that is hardly a reason to cancel projects in the SE. Yes there is also an element of public funding required at LHR but the result benefits non LHR users on the M25 and M4 also.

My argument is for a hub. Yours is for an expanded LGW. These are 2 different outcomes. We need to first decide whether we want a major UK hub or not and take into account the benefits this will bring. If we decide the hub arrangement isn't important and to concentrate on direct flights from wherever we can support them then that is a different matter. If it is just a case of putting an extra runway anywhere in the SE then you wouldn't choose LHR. If we do want to build a world class hub airport for a realistic amount then the only sensible option is LHR.

The Airport Commission's forecast was for 2030. Heathrow is planning for R3 to be operational in late 2025. What makes you think there would be a 5-year delay?
Is that a joke? I wouldn't be surprised if there is an extra 5 year delay in a decision being made let alone all the extra planning approvals and further consultations. Seriously though I think we are talking past 2030 now.

And be that as it may, the AC also forecasts the same number of domestic destinations (4) in 2040 and 2050.
The AC can say what it wants, it is the airlines who will decide and an expanded LHR open to SH traffic will be very attractive to the regionals plus LHR will also want a large flow of people through its 'shopping experience'.