PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2016, 20:16
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any LHR R3 impacts direct non stop long haul out of MAN, it's not something that can be viewed in isolation.
When one makes a fundamental change to a node in a network, there is some effect on all the other nodes. This principle applies in the example you cite as well as in many others. Of course, it also applies if the node which changes is LGW, which as you know I endorse for expansion subject to prudent cost-oversight. However, you have accused me of arguing against LHR R3 motivated by the scenario which you outline here. I have never done so, and you have not responded to my challenge to quote any passage from my archived postings which support your persistent assertions to this effect. I argue against LHR R3 on the grounds of cost, especially that vast sum drawn against public funds. And there is certainly ample justification for opposing LHR R3 on that score. Also, my opposition to LHR R3 has never been framed from a Manchester perspective at all except in direct response to specific provocative questions from yourself. I do realise that your task would be much simpler if you could successfully convey the impression that all opponents of LHR R3 are motivated by misguided pro-MAN protectionism rather than by the national interest. Sorry to disappoint you.

Oddly enough LBA wants R3
If LPL got a LHR link again
Of course other airports want new or increased scheduled services to LHR. The question is whether the payback on this is worth anything like GBP18.5Bn private (taxpayer underwritten?) plus GBP12-18Bn in direct public funding. Very clearly, it is not. Now if you were to spend that GBP12-18Bn directly on infrastructure investment in the neglected Leeds-Bradford and Liverpool city regions, you could really see some dramatic effects on prosperity there! NPR (the re-branded HS3) would be a great start.

Your argument this is simply a matter of another runway in the SE is not borne out when you take a look at the wider picture.
I have never asserted that the SE's new runway should be dumped just anywhere. When you examine the largest source of air travel demand-growth in the SE - no-frills and leisure short-haul - it is evident that LGW constitutes an excellent solution to the most pressing problem. It's not just a matter of another runway in the SE. Its a matter of which sector of the airline industry most urgently requires it and where their business model can thrive.

Now, can we move along from your discredited Manchester protectionism narrative and discuss the issues actually being raised? Any answer from you yet on the 'reasonable price point' question? Or is there actually no ceiling on the sum which you consider worthwhile paying out to provide just a 50% increase in capacity at LHR?