PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2016, 19:44
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm getting confused Ken.....What you have just described is precisely what we all know he SHOULD have done, but didn't! Because he wasn't sufficiently familiar with this particular manouvre to instantly select the correct actions!
Sorry I was not clear. Let my try this approach:
1. A pilot can be trained to perform different "correct" actions for different scenarios, based on system logic of the specific aircraft he's flying.
2. A pilot can be trained to perform the same basic action regardless of the scenario and independent of system logic of any aircraft he's flying.

In this case the pilot was expected to know the details of the RAAS activation logic and the details of the TOGA switch inhibition logic and take the "correct" action based on his knowledge of the automatic system's logic. He failed.

I believe that pilots should be trained that EVERY time he wants increased airspeed and/or altitude that he ALWAYS pushes the thrust levers forward and manually establish the acceleration/climb and THEN pushes the TOGA button to assist him to establish the optimum acceleration/climb rate. Thus in an unusual situation such as this one, he instinctively performs the correct action (manually push the levers forward) and he would not have to know (and under great stress remember) the details of either the RAAS or the TOGA logic to take the correct action. The correct action (push the levers forward) is always instinctive and the automatics are only used to finesse the pilot's already correct action. To me, the worst thing that would result from such training is a short term overtemp or overspeed of the engine (and with modern fadec engines that is unlikely) resulting from moving the levers too aggressively. And this instinctive action will get him (and his passengers) safely away from the ground independent of system logic. Once he is away from the ground and his airspeed is up he can figure out the system logic that's preventing him from getting FD bars and/or autothrottle. Expecting him to figure that out very close to the ground and at very low airspeed is in my mind a recipe for disaster.