PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2016, 18:09
NWSRG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's unbelievable how this thread attracts the "my da's bigger than your da" brigade. This is supposed to be a place for sensible discussion about our airports and their development, not a playground for infantile willy waving.

So some points;
1. Dublin will always be bigger than BFS or BHD. It's home to a national flag carrier, has massive traffic with the US courtesy of generations of migration, and is useful to those of us heading that way courtesy of pre-clearance. That's just fact.
2. That doesn't mean that BFS (or BHD) should not seek to maximise their medium / long haul potential. Surely we can justify direct North American connections, and at least a few European business routes alongside the leisure rotations. We're a significant region, just like Scotland, or the North-East, and we like to travel, so let's not knock ambition.
3. We'd be better off with one airport...that would help create the critical mass that would generate new route offerings. But, we have two, and they are both pretty decent. I'm happy to use either. If we could focus on one, then BFS has more potential simply due to runway length and space. But, we have two, so let's get on with it.
4. A football team is for life. An airport is just a sophisticated bus station. Get a football team if you want to get emotionally involved.
5. United must be laughing. Next time round, we need to tender for a subsidised New York route. Lowest subsidy takes it. A 757 (nearly always well packed) from BFS to EWR has to be a sure thing.
6. Well played to those who are bringing USAF C-130s and C-17s here, and also to the guys bringing bizjets through every day...it puts us on the map, and could lead to bigger things.
7. Get a girlfriend. Girlfriends are better than airports. (But not as good as football). I've upgraded to a wife (which is better than football). But I still like football.
8. I do actually like airports too...fascinating places. Heathrow was class before they modernised it all. Schiphol is brilliant, as is Orlando. Can't really warm to Gatwick though. Manchester is friendly. Calgary was just incredibly quiet. BFS has character...you can see how it has grown over the years. BHD is nice, in a Volkswagen Golf sort of way, but that's ok too.
9. I still don't like Ryanair.

Right, I'm away for my dinner. Talk soon.