PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2016, 17:28
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Can we prevent pilots from failing to add thrust during a go around? Absolutely yes."
I disagree; but we might reduce the probability, by reducing surprise, workload, systems complexity, and the proliferation of SOPs.
Help pilots detect and correct any oversight, to do what they already do well, but better.
Clearly we disagree. I believe we can prevent no thrust go arounds just as we prevent no thrust take offs. Both are impossible. However, a no thrust GA is much much more dangerous than a no thrust take off. I don't know the SOP for autothrottle takeoffs of all airlines, but I personally cannot conceive of a pilot doing a take off on autothrust with his thrust hand not on the thrust levers in the event of a rejected takeoff.

On the other hand I cannot conceive of a pilot doing an approach/landing on authothrust with his hand not on the thrust levers in the event of a go around or rejected landing. It simply flies in the face of all the training I have ever had. Yet the pilots of some (many?) airlines apparently do the latter routinely. Do those same pilots also do takeoffs with one hand in their lap? I really don't know.