PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2016, 14:02
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the point of the F-35B/Aegis exercise was part of USN's overall Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC) initiative and sought to answer three primary questions:
1. Can a sensor equipped aircraft (like the F-35B) obtain tracking data on a target with sufficient accuracy AND precision AND update rate to provide targeting data for an Aegis/SM6 installation?
2. Can the remote sensor platform transmit the above target data at sufficient bandwidth to ensure near real time target tracking? Link 16 lacks the bandwidth.
3. Can the Aegis/SM6 installation receive and process the data in near real enough time to enable a missile launch and then guide that missile to enable the missile to intercept the target?

I suspect that a fourth consideration would be can the remote sensor platform transmit the targeting data securely and with low probability of signal intercept?

Further, I believe this test is also intended to lead to Super Hornets getting MADL so they can receive remote targeting data from stealthy F-35Cs to enable the Super Hornets to launch longer range stand off weapons. (Meteor? ERAAM? FMRAAM? Other?)