PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer S1
Thread: Buccaneer S1
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2016, 13:41
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
By coincidence I just finished the excellent "Up in Harms Way" by Commander R.M. Crosley, and excellent book about Fleet Air Arm testing and aerodynamics. Highly recommended.

Devotes a chapter or two specifically to the early Buccaneers with lots of talk about the engines, engine out issues, airspeed, some of the early crashes, boundary layer control which allowed a much reduced approach speed needed for the smallish UK carriers, carrier trials, carrier/aircraft integration etc. A major issue was the lack of oomph from the catapults of the UK carriers. The stroke length and end speed was just not enough to support the heavy and underpowered S1. The US carriers had quickly adopted to stronger, longer and faster catapults that could accommodate the larger, heavier and faster jets. He has some good paragraph on the differences between the Buccaneer and the Sea Vixen. Yes the speys helped tremendously.

The book also covers his time in WWII, Korea and other testing roles (Wyvern, Sea Vixen, etc)

I also found his take on flying the Phantom, Vigilante, F8 and A-4 very interesting. His experience low and fast in Vigilante led him to the conclusion that the even more so slab sided and forward positioned crew in the TSR.2 would have been in for a very, very rough ride and the aircraft would likely have fatigue issues. I know it may be forbidden to talk smack about the TSR.2 on some forums...but really interesting...

Again a great read. Check it out/order a copy. An e-copy here:
Up in Harm's Way Flying with the Fleet Air Arm R M Crosley The Stunning PDF Here