PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2016, 20:20
Snyggapa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To me that is pretty key. The report neither says the pilots did or did not press TOGA. I guess we need the full report to appear, assuming that a press (that does nothing) if the wheels were grounded will be logged in the FDR. If they did press TOGA then we enter a world of the training/automation blame game, if not then it is a simple human error.

However is there a GA that doesn't require a whole boot full of thrust? And is there an aircraft in the world that doesn't respond to the throttles being jammed forwards - if so, why not make firewall the thrust the very first item on any go around, on any aircraft? It may be that the automatics on some aircraft will pull the throttles back since they still think they are landing, but at least if you forget you have that problem from 400 feet not 85.

Either that or a big red 'HAL get me outta here' mushroom button on the centre console to fly a pre set escape route... HAL does not forget to set thrust, retract flaps, avoid striking the tail, bring the gear up or miss the mountain. Of all the stages of flight where a machine should be able to do well, and where humans do badly due to high stress, this is a standout one.

Last edited by Snyggapa; 18th Sep 2016 at 22:15. Reason: Typo