PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3rd opinion wanted from engine smarty pants
Old 18th Sep 2016, 16:46
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd opinion wanted from engine smarty pants

Got a nagging issue with the Maule since the engine tear down inspection and new prop after the prop strike, Here goes:

When I do a mag check it runs rough on the left and really rough on the right, a lot of farting and popping and shaking and outside the tolerances for rpm drop, with a 300rpm drop on the right mag like the plugs are fowled, I go to 2300 rpm and lean it out and run it for a minute and it clears. If however I taxi for a minute (with it leaned) then do another mag check I get the same problem, I took it back to the shop that done the engine tear down and they said it was running rich and set the carb a bit leaner, this did not clear the problem, I took it to a shop at my local field they said when they removed the bottom plug from cylinder 1 a bunch of avgas ran out. They also said it was set to lean, the adjusted the mixture removed cleaned and tested the plugs and said the engine run up and mag check was fine. I get Into the plane taxi up to the runway and the same **** starts happening, I do a high rpm run up at lean to clear the problem then take off, the engine runs fine in the air and switching mags checks out ok. However as soon as I land and taxi for a minute then try do a mag check the same **** starts with all the popping and farting and rough running. I note that on the right mag the number 1 cylinder drops while the rest raise while doing a mag test. I asked the shop if they rotated the plugs and they said they all checked out so there was no need.

Add this problem to the new prop "surging" on take off and I'm starting to get pissed off here.

Is it possible that the plugs are actually ok as the shop said but the mag has an intermittent problem during run ups but works fine while flying..

Could the prop surging on take of be related to this mag/ plugs issue?

Could it be the primer cable was reinstalled wrong?

Edit to add: if this was on Scotland I'd have the bugger in the hangar and remove, rotate, and clean the plugs myself but I'm here in LA with no facilities or tools. And 2 different shops don't seem to think I have a problem