PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2016, 16:42
Danny42C

NigG (your #398),
..Bother! Just lost my post...
Did you really say just "Bother"? Remarkable self-control !

If, as I assume, you were composing on PPRuNepad, you are in good company. Nearly everybody here has been caught at one time or another by the resident malevolent gremlin (and he usually waits till it's 99% complete before doing the dirty on you !)

Remedy: Draft somewhere else (I use Notepad), then copy/paste onto PPRuNepad, invite gremlin to do his worst.

Danny.

PS:
Interesting pics of the early N.African campaign - an old memory stirred, Google turned up for me: "BBC Home 'WW2 People's War' (Archived) this marching song composed by the Army in N.Africa:

♫...'Where do we go from here,
Now that we've got Bardia,
We've captured Buk-Buk,
And we've got Tobruk,
Where do we go from here ?
'...♫

Well known tune (but can't recall its name - somebody may).

It refers [Wiki] to the recapture (3rd-5th January, 1941) of the Italian fortress of Bardia (N.Africa) by the 6th Division commanded by Major General Iven (sic) MacKay of the Australian Army. Result: (Casualties and losses):

(Allied)

130 killed
326 wounded[3]

(Italian)

1,703 killed
3,740 wounded
36,000 captured[4]

The victory at Bardia enabled the Allied forces to continue the advance into Libya and ultimately capture almost all of Cyrenaica. In turn this would lead to German intervention in the fighting in North Africa, changing the nature of the war in that theatre. [Wiki]

The Daily Mirror (I think) printed this parody (supposedly written by the retreating Italians):

"Where do we go from here
Now that we've lost Bardia ?
They've conquered Tobruk
And taken Buk-Buk
So where do we go from here ?"

Of course, all this is long ago, and we're all pals now......

D.