PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATC Documentary on BBC2
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2003, 05:00
jack-oh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In one part of the programme a civil pilot who had had an Airprox with a military aircraft stated "as I was flying through the Vale of York", he might well of started off by saying "as I was swimming off the Great Barrier Reef with a pork chop tied round my neck". When will these people realise that if you fly around an area that has a large concentration of fast jets in it you may well meet one sooner or latter. The fact that its not controlled airspace is irrelevant. If the UK military adopted the same rules as the US or Australians and introduced controlled airspace that was regulated by the individual military airfields or area units, the same aircraft could have been doing the same thing provided, in the pilots view, he was still VMC. We have all been stung by an ac popping out of low level but that is exactly why ATCROCAS were written to provide advice and information and not to guarantee separation. If you don’t want this type of service don’t fly in that airspace, it may mean a slightly longer trip but it would also mean that you wont see any sharks.