PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trying to get to HK/China - Advice Needed
Old 18th Sep 2016, 14:49
MrAndy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to get to HK/China - Advice Needed

Friends,

I am still fairly new to this particular forum and so I hope that this is the right place to post. My predicament places me in a bit of an unusual spot, and thus I require some words of advice from those who are wiser and knows aviation in Asia more than I.

What I am trying to do is to move to Hong Kong (permanently) within the next year or two. The reasons are personal, and non-career related, but ideally, I would like to try and keep my aviation career somewhat intact for stability reasons. My biggest problem is that my options are limited based on my experience.

I am a pilot with close to 2000 hours with an ATPL from Canada. I also have an HK ID (non-permanent), and can speak fluent Cantonese. I tried applying for the usual suspected job postings ranging from being an SO at CX, to non-type rated jobs at hke and hka. Not a word or whisper back unfortunately. The largest aircraft I have flown is the Beech 1900D, which I suppose doesn't help my case either. I have tried getting some larger turboprop time here as well, but have ended up hitting the brick wall getting into the few regional airlines in my country .

So, it feels as though I am at a bit of an impasse . What kind of things would you do if you were in my shoes?

Some things I have considered doing:
  • Dropping everything in a year and just coming to HK first
  • Going for non-flying related positions at the local airlines
  • Writing a letter to apply instead of the usual online application
  • Buying a type rating? (Not sure if this is even wise, but vs having 0 time on type, it may be something to consider)
  • Accept a career change
HK isn't my only option, but I do wish to be at least in the area. I am also impartial to the types of flying available, so long as I can make a living to get by.

Anyways, I would appreciate any advice to be had. I seriously need a mentor, but don't know where to turn.