PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2016, 11:43
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For my observation, the people who really make outstanding accomplishments in any endeavor, though particularly aviation, no matter what their gender, are rarely those people who can be heard to say "hey, look at me!". There great accomplishments, whether an instantaneous feat, or lifetime achievement are noticed after the fact, and duly celebrated. So for me, the "what me", "look at what I did" pilots are an afterthought, if thought at all.

I suppose anyone doing anything to promote honourable piloting is helping our pastime and industry, but in the context of what others around them may be quietly accomplishing, they are not worthy of personal celebration.

I have been inspired by pilots of achievement like Hannah Reitsch, because what those pilots accomplished was so self evidently awesome - they did not have to tell me for me to know.

This is not thread drift from the TCT topic, but I just can't raise myself to award her any celebration. In my mind now, the only thing she could do to really redeem herself to aviation and female pilots, would be to decline any awards, quietly drop out of the spotlight, and then without attaching any public reference to herself, offer up some meaningful aviation scholarships.