PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2016, 09:17
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the debate about regular manual manipulation of the a/c being a cure for avoiding these traps and allowing for confident control in those occasions when it is required: these accidents of serviceable a/c seem to happen on large intercontinental operating a/c. 10-12hr sectors = 6-10 sectors per month. 4-5 landings for each pilot minus, perhaps, a mandatory or necessary autoland; and then also having to share perhaps with a 3rd pilot. Thus maintaining manual control skills will not be so easy. Equally, at the end of a 14hr night, it might not be the best option. So easy to say, but difficult to achieve.
Now, there are airlines that operate these large a/c on short-haul high density routes. They do have the opportunity. Do they? They could also have huge amounts of R&D data to feed back to the manufacturer. Do they? Has this Gotcha, and others, happened before? The SFX incident had, but that operator was not so aware of it. Why not?
What I find disappointing is that many short-haul 50sector/month pilots are discouraged by company culture from manual flying. How long before the technology of large a/c filters down to small/medium type and these problems and scenarios migrate into that world? If it does it will be a really sad day for the industry that will not have learnt from precedents. We shall see.