PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 457 visa FOs started at QantasLink
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2016, 08:51
Band a Lot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This from another forum as to why a bit of depth maybe good for all. (it is copy paste)

** It is an interesting topic to debate,but the answer really is that there are good pilots from most countries just asthere as bad pilots from most countries. At my present company there are pilotsfrom 70 different countries and I train many of them so I do see a good crosssection of pilots.

Pilots from the USA ( I am one ) tend to have better systems knowledge ofaircraft and better handling skills. They can, however, be very sloppyprocedurally and less careful in normal operations.

Pilots from Australia and New Zealand are very good procedurally and good athandling with excellent theoretical knowledge, but can be too uptight in thecockpit and too procedural during non-normal or emergency situations. This canresult in "out thinking " themselves to the point that they are slowto get the airplane on the ground or brief you to death as they fly right intoa mountain.

Pilots from the UK and South Africa are a good compromise between the abovetwo. The British pilots I fly with are great guys, very professional yetrelaxed.

Contrary to some of the above comments, UAE pilots ( and pilots from the MiddleEast in general ) are quite competent. The areas they could improve on arelateral thinking and handling.

Pilots from Asia are very good procedurally and know the manuals thoroughly,but again handling is often weak and they tend to underperform in an emergency

** While I have not been as directly involved with training multi cultures asyou have, my experience in working with pilots from around the world on variousprojects leads me to similar conclusions. I am a bit surprsed that the Kiwi andOz pilots are not higher, as their culture has such low"power-distance" standards, that I would think they would not behesitant to do what is necessary to get on the ground.

I think a real advantage that the U.K. pilots have is, beyond their culture,their training at a basic level is so far superior to ours. I have sat in onprivate pilot oral exams by U.K. examiners, and I was pretty impressed. Theyreally get a very solid foundation, and do not seem to be fed so many of themyths that U.S. general aviation is full of, when it comes to aerodynamic theory,etc., etc.

** I agree the Ozmates and Kiwis and a bit of a conundrum. So relaxed and laidback on the ground, yet so uptight at work. Granted that is a widegeneralization and there are certainly exceptions to the rule. Yet it can beseen in other aspects of Australian life ( ever gone through customs searchesthere ? ). It's not the " put another shrimp on the barbie " countrythat so many think it is.

I prefer flying with the Brits far more than the Aussies. Make a little mistakewith aAn Aussie sitting next to you and it's, " Mate, that isn't how thebook says to do it. We might have to write a report about that ". Thatcreates an air of tension in the flight deck. While flying with a Brit it wouldgo more like, " ha ha, I did that myself last week, your buying the firstround at the pub now ". Far better CRM environment and far more relaxedwork atmosphere.AA