PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL 767 crew mistook Changi taxiway for runway
Old 18th Sep 2016, 02:32
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They planned it but got sent another way, which bamboozled the PF/FO. Surely you would be better not planning the taxiout until you get your route from ATC?
I agree but that is not the Japanese way, at least not in ANA or JAL. They insist on briefing the expected taxi route and then get flustered when it changes. I believe every one of their briefings sets them up for a classic confirmation bias trap and it is not unusual to hear them going the way they expected, rather than the way they were instructed. A mate of mine could not get the idiot he was flying with (luckily he's gone now) to listen to what he was trying to tell him. ATC had given contrary taxi instructions to those briefed and although my mate was quite specific in telling the Japanese captain that he was going the wrong way (i.e. the way he'd briefed, rather than the route given by ATC) he continued. My mate actually called and asked for confirmation.......guess where Captain Confirmation Bias went, still ignoring his PM! Funny how a 777 looks coming head on down the same taxiway.

Looking at the green and yellow lines on the report's diagram leads me to think they thought they were turning right onto the runway (as briefed and expected......C B ) but, clearly, they failed to follow their exact progress.

As for not reporting it........I believe ANA and JAL would be similar in their outlook and I would have no hesitation in submitting a report. There would be some form of investigation, as you would expect but I do not believe it would be punitive and I do not ever get the feeling that I'm going to be punished for making a mistake. This has all the marks of face-saving; nothing else, and despite all their talk about cultural changes to rid themselves of such outdated ways of thinking it's a VERY slow process and won't be happening any time soon (measured in centuries).