PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2016, 20:29
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I have just written to the New Zealand branch of the Honourable Company Of Air Pilots.

They must be so proud in Auckland having such a heroine as Tracy Curtis Taylor who learnt to fly warbirds and was an instructor at Ardmore.
Tracey migrated to New Zealand and began flying in earnest. She
gained her private pilot’s licence, commercial licence and an instructor rating and, unusual
for a woman, was trained by military pilots to fly World War II aeroplanes with the New
Zealand Warbird Association.
http://www.birdinabiplane.com/biog/

That alone is worthy of an award. 'Unusual for a woman was trained by military pilots'.

One wonders why no other female had ventured in the Ardmore clubhouse before Tracey?

Was it the macho male culture? This was of course the 1990's.

You have to ask why women were isolated from this sort of flying in Auckland New Zealand before Tracey broke down the barriers?

The NZ flying community is very reserved and unassuming.

I doubt they have ever had a female 'Aviatrix' before and she really must have pushed back the boundaries for female pilots in a land where women still make cups of tea,lamington cakes and do the washing up.

When Tracey first arrived at Ardmore it must have been a historic moment.

A woman who wants to fly?

However I feel we should encourage them to support one of their own.

I can visualise the report now on TVNZ as Tracey stands alongside spaceman Tim Peake.

'One small step for a man...one giant leap for womankind'

The old British colonies such as Australia,New Zealand and indeed Hong Kong are still close to our hearts in the UK.

It would help if you emailed them suggesting a citation to Tracey Curtis Taylor to be read out prior her award at the dinner in October.
Maybe something from this story.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-legs-own.html

The Honourable Company of Air Pilots
New Zealand Region
2 The Glebe
Howick
Auckland 2014
New Zealand
E- Mail: [email protected]

Honourable Company of Air Pilots, Australian Region Inc

Postal Address:

PO Box 454
Berowra
NSW 2081

Telephone:

+61(0)450 438 538
Email general enquiries:

[email protected]

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 18th Sep 2016 at 06:46.