PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA NPA 2016-09 (A)
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2016, 20:05
Talkdownman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TCAS FAN
what is the point of AFIS?
Hi TCAS

The only reference I have ever found which actually specifies a requirement for AFIS is in The Air Navigation (General) Regulations 2006 at Section 3 Para 13:

Aeroplanes flying for the purpose of public transport of passengers— aerodrome facilities for approach to landing and landing.........apply to every aeroplane registered in the United Kingdom engaged on a flight for the purpose of public transport of passengers on a scheduled journey and to every aeroplane so registered whose maximum total weight authorised exceeds 5,700 kg engaged on a flight for such a purpose otherwise than on a scheduled journey........the following manning and equipment are prescribed in relation to aerodromes intended to be used for landing or as an alternate aerodrome by aircraft to which this regulation applies—air traffic control service or aerodrome flight information service
The above lends itself in particular to community and humanitarian flights at remote and less frequently served locations, such as H & I aerodromes. Presumably it is otherwise not required at all (unless mandated by SARG for different reasons...). I really do not understand why some aerodrome operators waste so much money on AFIS when it is not apparently necessary, when A/G can permit a much higher level of runway utilisation, and better command decision-making and discipline from pilots, particularly with respect to lookout and effective and minimal runway occupancy. Indeed, some of those aerodrome operators elect to downgrade to A/G when it suits them in order to cover AFISO shortfall (and publish warnings of such possible downgrading in the UK AIP), which begs the question why, in the absence of public transport, have it at all.