PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2016, 14:27
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Well Vilas, we are going to have to agree to disagree. You can be the autowhizz, or the autocripple. But if you can fly, none of those 5 prangs would have occurred. Airbus Golden Rules all require one skill when all else fails: the ability to fly the aeroplane. The automatons are driving that skill out of the industry.

Originally Posted by Vilas
Had the EK pilot read about the GA after touch down or been told during his training he wouldn't have done what he did.
Nonsense. Unless you practise, over and over, you may get it wrong. You can have all you like in your nice (electronic) manuals but if you expect Joe Bloggs to pull out a procedure that he may have seen/used once in a blue moon and do it successfully, you do not have a grip on reality.

Originally Posted by Vilas
Unless he made a one off mistake that can happen it is the price off being human
The price of being human? Even if he did, his offsider, if suitably exposed/trained and re-current, would much more readily pick up what he did wrong (the FO here did actually work out something was wrong when he called "speed". If you're familiar with something, then you've got spare brainspace to use on other stuff, like checking the power is actually up when the nose comes up on a rejected landing. The workload is immediately noticeable to me whenever we start doing weird stuff in the Sim (or the pressure comes on airborne); surely you have felt the same, if not you, in your students?

Originally Posted by 4468
You've flown 50 go-arounds in the last year?
Did I say that? No. I was merely using it as an example of the development of muscle memory.