PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help for Westland Scout & Wasp book
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2016, 09:22
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Off topic but given the fine response to the issue above I thought I would post here.
I looked up the fate of the aircraft in the photo above and while doing so I also looked up Gazelle XW850. My understanding was that 850 was involved in a fatal accident in which 3 trainee engineers on an air experience flight were killed while flying out of Middle Wallop. This would be circa 1972/3.

Looking up the aircraft there is no mention of this accident and I am left wondering if I have got the wrong aircraft or my memory is seriously at fault.
The details given for the loss of 850 do not tally with my recollections although the reason given i.e electrical interference between the anti collision beacon and the hydraulic shut off valve is plausible as this was an issue at the time.

My understanding was that the aircraft entered a dive during which the controls locked and the impact resulted. This was put down to jack stall and military Gazelles were modified by installation of a hydraulic accumulator.

Any clarification would be appreciated as it is sad to think that these young mens lives have been airbrushed from history by the power of the internet.