PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2016, 07:33
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloggs
I am all for manual skills. But manual skill and knowledge of automation are not exchangeable in modern aircraft. yes in a DC3 if you didn't know about the AP it didn't matter. Any pilot who knows his automatics poorly is a hazard in RVSM and CAT3. Manual skill requirement may not arise at all in cruise but ignorance of automation can kill you. The manual skill you are talking about is more required during approach landing phase doing a raw data approach, handling EFATO or handling strong gusty crosswinds but CAT3 regime is all automation. In Airbus FBW flying raw data approach or OEI on take off or GA is not that big a deal, many 200hrs. CPLs do it extremely well. In a field that is getting automated by the hour there is no justification for not knowing automation of your machine. SFO, Bangalore, Paphos all came out of ignorance of automation. Bangalore guys were experienced B737 200 pilots they knew very well how to do a visual approach with manual thrust but didn't know how to get the A320 ATHR in speed mode. Some aircrafts manual skills are difficult and need more practice in some others they are not that difficult but you need to know well their automation because that is their design philosophy. And no! I would not higher a pilot in Airbus who is unable to understand automation. I would definitely higher him for flying a twin otter for island hopping in Indonesia.

Last edited by vilas; 17th Sep 2016 at 07:52.