PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life Insurance
Thread: Life Insurance
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2016, 04:38
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did have to find a co operative insurer, but once I did, no problem. Actually, the helicopter flying attracted more alarm than the fixed wing flying I do. The informed insurance agent told me I was paying a slight increase over a non pilot policy, but nowhere near the additional premium a smoker would have to pay.

Amusingly, I am covered for everything 24/7 as a firefighter - except flying. During the information session with the insurance agent years back, I confirmed that I was not covered while flying - "no, you're not.". But, I was covered for any firefighting activity? "yes, you are.". So what if I'm flying a plane for the fire department. The suddenly alarmed agent turned to the Chief, and asked: "does he do that?". "Yes, he does.". Well, he's not covered. With that, I stood up, and told my fellow firefighters that if I'm ever killed in a plane crash, when they get to the scene, drive the fire truck over me. Problem solved.

Short sighted insurer, I'm covered to walk into a burning building with a compromised floor, but not in a perfectly serviceable plane!