PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr Skidmore resigned
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2016, 02:34
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyrie: Don't be too sure about NZ. I was there a year ago and GA didn't seem to be happening too well. Ardmore doesn't have a tower anymore as there is too little traffic. I spent a fine Saturday afternoon there and saw one aircraft fly. Used aircraft prices at the low end now seem to be about two thirds of what they were a year ago.
Some industry people I talked to said aero clubs around the country were closing and the NZ lack of a class rating meant you had to find an instructor for your AFR who had a type rating in that kind of aircraft. I'm talking simple single engined, fixed gear, fixed prop bug smashers here, not complex aircraft.
PPL medicals were running around NZ$700 to 900 with all required blood tests etc.
NZCAA didn't seem to be held in any higher regard than CASA is here.
Ardmore tower didn't close because of lack of traffic. Many years ago (circa 25 years) Airways Corp introduced fees at towered airports. Two things happened either there wasn't enough traffic to pay the money Airways wanted and or the local users decided they didn't need Airways services any longer. Shortly after the fee introduction the Ardmore tower closed.

Yes, some aero clubs have closed and some seem to be doing quite well. The student loan system has meant a migration of CPL I/R etc training to the larger centres putting stress on the some clubs, some of which have closed.

The lack of a class rating for GA aircraft may have a small impact but we've had that now for over 20 years since the introduction of Part 61. While I agree the class rating (we used to call it Group Rating) is a good system the individual system we have hasn't been too restrictive and there is room for accepting commonality between two very similar aircraft.

The price of aircraft also reflects the general economy, dairy farm income is well down which means less money all round. Also when the NZ dollar appreciates against the USD aircraft prices fall. So the price of aircraft doesn't always accurately reflect the health of aviation.

I agree the medical costs are higher than they should be, though things like blood tests are not required at every medical.

Yep, CAA aren't always painted in a good light however from what I hear they are streets ahead of CASA.

To top it all off Rocket Lab are about to start commercial launches of space vehicles in the very near future. Rocket Lab nearly clear for NZ space launch - Business - NZ Herald News