PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple iOS 10 ?
Thread: Apple iOS 10 ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2016, 02:22
ExSp33db1rd

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Apple iOS 10 ?

When I was in the USA recently I attended an Apple Store and asked about upgrading my iPad Mini from the iOS 8 system it came loaded with, to the then iOS 9 that was current.

It was suggested that unless I needed the new features of iOS 9 – and nobody could definitively tell me what they were – then why bother, and as I only have a 16Gb iPad then the iOS 9 system might swallow up a lot of my remaining capacity ? If you're happy with what you've got, and it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, was the opinion.

Now there is iOS 10, so the same question arises, and I don’t know what advantages there are, doubtless a lot of stuff that I don’t need ? I only use my iPad as a travelling aid, not my main computer, which is Microsoft.

A friend was updating his iPad to iOS 10 this morning - a message said it would take another 9 hours ! - and I discussed this with him, but he seemed to think that, yes, I need space to ADD iOS 10 to my iPad in the first place, but then I could remove the original iOS 8. I wouldn’t know how to do that.

This question has arisen because Mrs. ExS has an older iPad with iOS 7, and has read about a Norton Privacy product that effectively creates a VPN, but requires iOS 8 or better, so she will have to upgrade to iOS 10 - I guess Apple will no longer offer iOS 8 ? - but she has a 32Gb machine, so the issue is not as critical.

Opinions ?