PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2016, 23:53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We haven't changed the human very much but we sure have changed what they have to interact with by huge amounts.
Correct

Much talk on here about something described as 'muscle memory'? I would have to have that explained to me a little more. However it appears to suggest limb movement absent of conscious thought? I would strongly suggest that is no way to fly a modern jet! It is DEFINITELY and UNEQUIVICALLY not the way to cope with the 'startle effect'! Engage the wrong motor program, without conscious thought, and you could quickly end up dead!

Pilots today, are the same people as yesteryear. Not 'better' nor 'worse', they are just interacting with a completely different style of machine! Lessons learned on the Wright Flyer are unlikely to transfer easily to flying an A350!! One to the other in little more than a single lifespan!

These machines require excellent training to operate safely. But airlines (generally) try to reduce training to the absolute minimum. The a/c work well, when you operate them as designed. Pilots just need to be aware of the fragility of the human condition, and it's tendency to react instantly (the chimp) rather than more intelligently. There are traps!! Training needs to be better, and sadly for some, more expensive!

Coping strategies are also required, such as pre-briefing of threats. Sharing responsibilities are healthy, rather than the old 'man and dog' of previous generations, where "you don't touch that, because I'm the Captain"! Still sadly alive in some cockpits/airlines!

Emirates really dodged a bullet here. They are not an outlier! This could have been far worse.

Last edited by 4468; 17th Sep 2016 at 00:25.