PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2016, 21:13
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wg Cdr Boyce, referred to in the photo above, handed over the command of 84 Squadron to Wg Cdr Jeudwine. Jeudwine took the Squadron out to Sumatra and led the action against the Japanese. (He was also the one who escaped from Java to Australia by lifeboat under sail.. see page 6, post 106, for the remarkable story.)

Arthur corresponded with Boyce after the war. Here's one of Boyce's letters, which refers to Jeudwine:

Nov.1945 From, now Gp Capt(?) Clayton Boyce, HQ 8 Group, RAF Huntingdon.

My dear Gill,

Thank you so much for your letter. Yes it was very bad luck. Poor old Jeudwine getting the chop. He had a Station in this Group, you know. I’m afraid he was split-arsing in a Typhoon and stalled upside down too low to recover. I went to his funeral. Very sad business.

Jeudwine told me just before he was killed that Johnny Taylor was back safe and sound. [from being a prisoner of war] Also Keble White which rather amazed me. I should have thought the Japs would almost certainly have bumped him off. I always felt like it myself. [He mentions others from 84 Sqn] I should very much like to see old Ashmole again but don’t know when I shall be able to get up to London. [Ashmole had been his Adjutant, and was now restoring the bomb-damaged British Museum]

This Group is rapidly disbanding and I have been posted to Upwood as Station Commander, losing my acting rank the day after tomorrow. However I cannot complain as it has been very good while it lasted. A very nice pre-war built up Station housing 2 Mosquito Squadrons.

I’m sorry to hear that you have been caught up in the toils of Bob House. [Air Ministry] It’s always been my dread to get posted there. I shouldn’t despair too much about the P.C. [permanent Commission that Arthur had applied for, and was long in coming] They can only push out very limited numbers at a time and your name may well turn up in due course. I can’t think how they can have missed out on an ex-CO of 84 so long anyway…

Well, Gill, when they let you get an aeroplane, fly up to Upwood and have lunch with me and we’ll do a lot of mutual line shooting and beer swilling.

Yours ever Clayton Boyce.

(Note: The cause of Jeudwine's accident isn't clear, but it was on his first day of flying a Typhoon. It seems that he assumed it would loop like a Hurricane, but in fact it needed a lot more clearance, and at the bottom of his loop the aircraft hit the ground, upside down.)

Hawker Typhoon 1B 1943

Last edited by NigG; 17th Sep 2016 at 08:19.