PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon Meranti
Thread: Typhoon Meranti
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2016, 15:57
Algol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SewerPiper you could just do what our HKA and HKE "colleagues" were doing yesterday. And just fly right through obvious cells.
Interesting. Last time there was a typhoon over Taiwan I flew to Taipei when it had mostly cleared off, but some trailing CB activity required deviations. Around ENVAR there was a bunch of huge active CBs (nighttime, lots of lightning and solid radar returns). I took a 30NM deviation to the RIGHT to avoid.
The CX flight coming behind me chose 20 LEFT. Probably looked the shorter route on his ND.
After a few minutes he came on again asking for another 10 left. The Taiwanese ATC'er refused the deviation because of the proximity to China airspace. They asked him to deviate right. But it was too late, no longer possible. So the CX hero had driven himself into a blind alley. His continued pleadings for a further 10 left were made in a very tremulous voice.

A good ships Captain may believe in his abilities, but he never loses respect for the sea.
Unfortunately too many pilots these days are far too complacent, and over confident in their (and their ships) abilities.

Last edited by Algol; 16th Sep 2016 at 16:10.