PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2016, 15:49
KenV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KenV, " should never result; a common misconception, where IMHO the reasons for this disbelief of human behaviour are explained in the interesting ASAGA report.

"The time pressure associated with limited human cognitive abilities - and therefore of crews - is the major problem in ASAGA. The crew must perform a number of actions and cross-check them in a short time. The induced cognitive overload may prevent the detection of deviations both by the PF, who is mainly concentrated on the PFD, and by the PM, who undertakes a set of tasks that divert his attention. Thus, a deviation, even in an important parameter or in the flight path, may not be detected by the crew."
I'm not talking about a "deviation". I'm talking about the single most important parameter in a go around situation: increase thrust. If a pilot cannot be counted on to ensure an increase in thrust during a Go Around, something is seriously wrong, be it the pilot, his training, and/or the company's SOP.

And a quote from some wit, but without comment or rflection on your views in any way:-
All accidents are preventable... with the benefit of hindsight...or
All accidents are preventable... in theory...or
All accidents are preventable... given unlimited knowledge, resources, perfect prediction (and quite some luck).
All of which, regrettably makes it a rather useless statement in the everyday job.
And besides, do we really want to prevent absolutely everything? ... Really??
Can we prevent "absolutely everything"? Absolutely not. And I never remotely suggested we can or should.

Can we prevent pilots from failing to add thrust during a go around? Absolutely yes. Please allow me to alter your question just slightly: "Do we really want to prevent"... pilots from failing to add thrust during a Go Around? Yes!!! We absolutely want to do that!!!! While there are countless things we cannot foresee and thus cannot prevent, pilots failing to add thrust during a go around is NOT one of them!