PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Used Lycoming Pitfalls
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2016, 12:37
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 360 is very damage tolerant but it has to be due to all the built in design faults which I can list if you
For my experience with aircraft piston engines, when there is a problem in one cylinder, and not the others, it is not a design fault, but very much more likely an operation, care or maintenance fault. Engines cannot be designed to be completely resistant to poor care.

And, it sounds as though the damage tolerant Lycoming engines still got you home on three cylinders - there's something to be said for that!

Personally, I have flown Continental, Lycoming, Pratt and Whitney, Franklin, Theilert, and Rotax piston engines. They all got me where I intended to be. In each brand design features and flaws can be found, but they are all certified, and with a lot of operational experience to show that they are worthy. None are perfect, and as asked by the OP, there are things a pilot/owner should know to best care for each engine. But, none are "junk" (when maintained airworthy), and branding them so because of care or wear and tear maintenance concerns is short sighted....