PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Used Lycoming Pitfalls
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2016, 11:47
horizon flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A and C
Horizon Flyer vastly overstates the case against the Lycoming engine like any piece of machinery requires care and maintenance.

Nothing Horizon says is untrue but the chances of all the things to the same engine are minimal, I have yet to see a crankcase that has been properly crack tested fail in further service, likewise the internal components go through NDT to avoid failure in further service.

The biggest problem is low usage with internal corrosion being a killer of cam shafts & cylinders with low oil temp being the prime cause of the moisture that causes the corrosion. Lycoming do publish to avoid these problems.
All the problems I have listed have happened to two aircraft I have been a partner in operating Both IO360A1B6 engines. One has just suffered high oil usage due to a stuck oil control ring on 4 and a worn one on 3. The last big problem was number 4 exhaust valve sized closed and the pushrods and tube departing the aircraft, landed OK on 3 cylinders. The 360 is very damage tolerant but it has to be due to all the built in design faults which I can list if you wish.

Last edited by horizon flyer; 19th Sep 2016 at 19:57.