PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2016, 11:36
coathanger16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum so bear with me.

Following the recent news that AA are to leave BHX from next year, one just has to wonder what BHX management think the airport can achieve for the region.

In the BBC article below they claim they are optimistic that another airline will fill the BHX-JFk route shortly - any idea which airline that might be?

American Airlines to stop Birmingham Airport flights - BBC News

BHX management, local business leaders and MP's seem to have the impression that HS2 will transform the airport by attracting passengers from across the HS2 network. Its hard to imagine that anybody from Manchester will choose to travel to BHX on HS2 as it will take them straight past MAN airport. Crewe is about equidistant between MAN and BHX, so with MAN greater range of flights you would expect people would head for MAN. As for Leeds and Sheffield, assuming HS3 or "Crossrail North" goes ahead, again MAN will be quicker to access the BHX. London - are passengers really going to travel up to BHX when there are 5 airports just as close or even closer. The only region I can see that will use BHX more as a result of HS2 is the east midlands, though I can't imagine that would increase passengers much.

Prime Minister urged to support regional airport expansion - Birmingham Post

Don't get me wrong, as a local I would love to see the airport grow and attract new routes. I'm just not sure how they hope to achieve it.