PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JET AIRPLANE CRITICAL ENGINE
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2016, 06:33
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suppose the concept applies to jets as with a non-zero angle of the thrust line to the relative airflow, you will get p-factor effects from the fans. I assume that the magnitude of those effects is small compared to everything else, especially as the intake ducts probably reduce them considerably by ‘bending’ the airflow to be more perpendicular to the fan disc. Engines on commercial jets tend to rotate in the same direction, so the potential for slight asymmetry is there but appears to be disregarded.

It seems to me that there are two common usages of “critical” when it comes to power plants: One describes the intrinsic properties of an an engine + airframe combination and the other takes the operating environment into consideration as well, e.g. crosswinds.

If you really wanted to nit-pick the question, you could argue that at V1 you are still on the ground, so in many installations the thrust line is parallel to the airflow. It’s only during rotation that p-factor effects increasingly come into play and you would have hoped that you’d be nearer V2 than V1 by the end of the manoeuvre...