PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2016, 05:29
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One would think that as RAAS becomes more common, even in B737NG a/c, the training of manoeuvres in response to the cautions will need to be reviewed carefully. I have no knowledge of the system, but if it can generate a "long landing' caution, even after touchdown, and if the SOP is to reject the landing, then this manoeuvre needs to be trained, surely. In today's environment trained often = an SOP. Currently the rejected landing is an FCTM manoeuvre. Many airlines have a single GA SOP. However, there are multitude of reasons to make a GA where a single SOP is not appropriate.

1. ATC Go Round when above MAA. This s not really a GA but an abandoned approach. If in APP mode this would cause many crews much confusion how to achieve it wth automatics; and it may well be that the best method is to disconnect then reconnect in basic mode and reselect what is necessary. I'm sure it is untrained in TR's. Perhaps some recurrency might include it, but I never saw it. System knowledge was the key.
2. GA anywhere between MAA & DA. You might be in APP mode or only LOC. Again a moment of pause then act. No rush.
3. GA at DA. Straight forward, often rushed, and the SOP kicks in. Trained.
4. Wave Off below DA. SOP GA. You may touchdown, but continue. Trained.
5. Heavy bounced landing. GA, but be careful and gentle as you are VERY close to the ground. Not trained. SOP might work, but wth some finesse. What guidance is given, if any?
6. Rejected landing after touchdown. GA SOP not appropriate. Not trained (uncommon)

Now if RAAS is fitted it could give a warning in Nos. 5 & 6. To certify crews to fly with RAAS is there a training program to give crews experience of the difference in GA technique to the standard, or is it just a self-study technical toy that has been added with written instructions of what to do but not how?
What are your experiences of training to use this system for airborne caution/warnings?