PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More trouble for A380 Program ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2016, 04:18
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the main (Airbus) argument to launch the A380 was that the increase in demand for travel, in an environment lacking airports expansions , and slots in those, would " naturally" favour VLAs . This has not come as fast as Airbus had forecast , but it will come , also in Singapore.
The other was not to leave Boeing alone in that market and possibly force them out of the VLA business. That they apparently succeeded .
1. I have not seen any statistics, and i doubt we will ever read a trustworthy one, about the effective capacity increase of VLAs on the most frequently served airports. My own impression (esp. in DXB) is that it is not as spectacular as expected. Biggies seem to take more space and time from push-back to take-off and clog up operations on ground. More importantly the bigger separation between aircraft decreases runway frequencies. If there were only VLAs, it might work, but the mix with medium aircraft is particularly slowing down operations and single aisle aircraft are here to stay.

2. If the 380 was only meant to kill the 747, it has come with a futile cost, the 747 was just as doomed.