PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TECNAM P2012 Rollout
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2016, 21:40
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
dirty prop, you fall for the same false comparison that has tripped up so many other folks; Automotive and aviation engine operating environments have very little in common.

The advances in automotive engines are about improving the operating range of engines - a typical car needs approximately 20 hp to maintain 100kph, Say 10% of its rated power but much more to provide acceptable acceleration, etc. For example the latest car engines squeeze 200+ kW out of 2 Litres via double turbochargers, direct injection, etc. the idea is to have the performance of a V8 with the economy of a much smaller engine.

An aircraft engine spends all of its time at more than 55% power at virtually constant rpm. a very different environment. very few of the cosmetic automotive new technologies add much value for their weight and complexity. the lycosaurus is optimized for a narrow rev range and power band.

of course if you want to design an airframe that cruises on 50 hp but needs 500hp for acceptable take off performance than you are right - you will need a new automotive technology engine.

I'm fiddling with a common rail fuel injected Rotax right now and I continually have to ask myself if the complexity of its care and feeding (complexity of the fuel and electrical systems that I have to install) is going to be worth the time and money involved.