PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Stansted -Turn indicator?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2003, 00:06
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
(firstly i should say that i am not sure that there was not T&S on the 74 as i have flown an older Boeing with them)

Mmm...Undercurrents of derision for that poor little instrument.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
any pilot worth his salt would latch onto the one instrument that will save everybody.......a turn and slip indicator? I don't think so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is true that crew not brought up with flying on a tied gyro will not appreciate its full potential. I have done a cloud break in a 1-11 with double versign-generator failure. (Dead FD 108s) and a flag on the standby horizon. We had VHF 1 and a lot of attention from the ground, but it truly was a non event - because of that simple device. The reason I am somewhat passionate about the subject of instrument loss, perhaps started with the loss of a Viscount (that I had recently flown) - due to total electrics failure. (The outer wings came off after breaking cloud at an extreme attitude.) In the three cases of significant failure of instrumentation in my career, I have always, without question gone to that instrument for confirmation of other indications. Also on one occasion in a 72' it was so rough that nothing seemed to agree for some moments, but the tied gyro was at least hitting the stops on both sides roughly the same amount!

The captain presumably knew about the maintenance issues, yet it seems lightly that he followed a faulty display into the ground. I hesitate to pontificate about specific accidents, as one never knows the absolute facts; however blatant things seem. But this is taken from generic research. It's probable that he was aware that something was horribly wrong during the last moments, but it is precisely the belief that he should follow that display - drummed in for many years - that will cause him to initially resist broadening his scan. When he does, it is probable that for a moment, he will not want to believe what he sees. My argument is, to see one single clear needle - slapped hard over to the left - when it should have been central-ish, is such a simple thing to act on.