PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2016, 13:17
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
It was, on reflection, a blatant generalisation and for that I apologise. I'm very well aware for instance of the Joint Service integration in helicopter operation that has happened since my days and no doubt with it has emerged a much closer understanding and tolerance between the two sides. The prejudice if indeed it did/does exist was never really at that level where it is more banter, friendly or otherwise. It is at the high command level that I was thinking of, ie of Phillips and above, both then and now. Are you in turn saying that is not so now, Jack?

Let's be frank. The RNAS was as an equal to the RFC, but then the RAF happened and the RN had to put up with what was I'm sure an unsatisfactory arrangement for all sides, until it regained control with the formation of the FAA. In a way we seem to be sliding back into that same unsatisfactory relationship again, the FAA having lost (temporarily?) its fixed wing component, the RAF having divested itself of its Maritime Patrol capability.

To be frank again, if I were a Lordship I'd be prejudiced too! The RN lacks indigenous air cover. So did Phillips, and look what happened to him! My comment was meant to be a comment on the existing situation (admittedly as I see it) rather than one of condemnation. I see now that wasn't obvious, and anyway it is simply my own view. I'm quite prepared to believe yours is different, but if I gave offence I'm sorry for it.