PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2016, 09:27
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oakape, wiggy
Nobody knows FCOM inside out nor is it required. But it is not unreasonable to expect a thorough knowledge of the aircraft systems, automation and performance of take off and landing phase where there is severe time constraint. Simple thing like not adjusting seat properly has led to runway excursion after engine failure because pilot was not able to apply differential braking. When three different situations for GA are mentioned in the manual there is no reason for a pilot not to know them. I remember one of my instructor telling me, you get paid for what you do below 500ft. above that any one can do it. Modern aircrafts require very little old fashioned throttle and stick skills. It is these limitations of computers what they will do and what they won't is all that is required. Someone in airline has to go through the accident database and seek manufacturers advise before making/changing procedures/trg. syllabus. But is not done and sometimes changes are made idiosyncratically and changed again after an incidence or they continue waiting for one to happen. Non verbalising and thereby non monitoring of FMA has caused so many incidents and yet it sparks a heated argument about its requirement. The aircraft and engines in general are so safe may be this much effort is considered superfluous. Ultimately it is another business and unless profitability is seriously affected nothing will change and that too will change towards better/safer automation.