PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2016, 05:34
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes I have seen that Canopener.

It would be interesting if Barry Tempest was there to ask a few questions

There is some discussion on the Light Aviation Association forum on whether it mattered that she was not solo. The argument being the Bill Woodham trophy was given for navigation and not solo flying.

However Sam Rutherford posted this on Pprune earlier.
Whilst I had done all the flight planning for the entire route before departure, Ewald and the pilot of the C208 did most of the day to day enroute planning with my input at times. Tracey was generally given the final result (or not, as Ewald knew it of course) - but was very rarely involved any planning. In her defence, she was usually very busy with the film crew and it would not have made sense (for the film) for her to be checking notams etc. I filed all the flight plans and GenDecs (Stearman POB:2) and paid all the charges etc. for both aircraft.
So there we have it. Ewald and the C208 pilot did all the flight planning.
Surely the ground preparation of the route is a major part of navigation.

Most UK drivers now use sat navs but they don't get awards.

As for the weather, route and radio across Africa I would suggest it is a lot easier that trying to fly from Headcorn to Blackpool VFR.

Everything was planned by the support team, the aircraft had an onboard GPS and both Tracey and Ewald had I-pad map displays.

So what makes TCT worthy of a 'navigation' award?

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 15th Sep 2016 at 08:09.