PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If I did my job like the media…….
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2016, 04:28
Compylot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Complylot, whilst Im sure we all enjoyed your tremendously intellectual satire, there is a point to be made. If they can't get this right, or in fact anything in any aviation related story in history right, then how can the media be trusted to accurately report on more serious, complex and nuanced matters?

No its not the end of the world for misstating the make and model of aircraft in this article, but given the frequency of trivial errors such as this then it speaks directly to the credibility of news journalism as it exists today. A lot of people believe wholesale what they see on the news, journalists have a responsibility both professional and ethical to be accurate. I believe they on the whole have abandoned this responsibility and that is something that does matter.
So you're saying that 'journalists' cant get anything in any aviation related story in history right..'? and using this to make the conclusion that everything else they report on must be inaccurate too?

C'mon, stop getting your knickers in a twist, I mean we're talking about an online article of a few paragraphs concerning a minor mishap. Perhaps if there were discrepancies in the quality of reporting and facts in a major news story like the Four Corners report on the Norfolk Island ditching we could be more concerned.

I'm sure that every other industry has technical inaccuracies within news articles and of course it's frustrating to those involved.

All that happens here is that every few weeks when an aircraft is identified wrong we get 3 pages of pontificating sarcastic inside 'jokes' more than any real concern or debate over journalistic standards. (oh, I must have 1000 more twin hours)

Can't wait for the next 'emergency' landing or "Piper Centurion Airbus" to have a thronomister failure

(Oh, and if you check out the original article there has been a note added at the bottom of the story correcting the aircraft type, so we can all sleep well tonight!)

Last edited by Compylot; 15th Sep 2016 at 04:40.