PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2016, 16:16
AT1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have patiently waited to see an explanation of something that has been puzzling me, but don't think one has emerged - and I don't think it is going to unless I ask.

One focus of attention has been the TOGA button, which I understand commands the autothrottle to provide "take off" power - so lots of thrust.

We have learned the TOGA feature is inhibited when the plane is on the ground - more accurately the weight on wheels sensors are detecting that the plane is ground - again subject to some "cleverness" taking account of the multiple sets of wheels.

I understand TOGA to mean "Take Off / Go Around".

When a plane takes off "normally" it starts, by definition, on the ground. There will be weight on wheels, so TOGA should, it would seem, be inhibited?? Clearly a nonsense - I must be misunderstanding something.

So why is TOGA not inhibited for a "normal" takeoff - or what is it the PF does to override the inhibition? Or does the operation of the button change from TO to GA such that in TO mode the WOW is not relevant, only in GA? If the function changes, what tells the TOGA function that this is not a take off, but is a go around - or vice versa?

Please don't flame me - I have been patient! I am not a pilot - well, I flew a glider solo three times four and a half decades ago, but I do not think that gives me much credibility. And I have been well battered SLF for many years. But I am an engineer, and because of some studying I did into the use of expert systems / artificiall intelligence in automation some years ago am VERY curious about this incident as it raises fascinating questions about the dividing line between man and machine holding authority over operating the system.

In another question - surely the thing the RAAS system should be "concerned" about is how much usable runway is ahead - not how much lies behind the plane - but again I may be miusnderstanding.