PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2016, 09:35
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hempy and others,

Perhaps I can help here.

The link SpazSinbad posted was referring to use of the F-35's MADL link system. (Not AESA radar per se). This is, as far as I am aware, a new system that was developed as part of the F-35 programme.

MADL stands for Multifunction Advanced Data Link, and comprises a number of dedicated antennae located around the airframe to provide full spherical coverage. I'm relying on Wiki here, but it's been described as a 'fast switching narrow directional communications data link' that operates in the Ku band. If you want to see one, look at the aft end of the fairings immediately below the tail fins and you'll see a hexagonal panel. That's a MADL antenna. MADL was designed for communication between F-35s, a programme to retrofit it to F-22 was cancelled around 2010 or so I understand.

The thing that interested me about the link he posted was that the potential for using MADL on land and sea based platforms was certainly raised early on in the F-35 programme by Brits working in the Mission Systems area. (It might have also been spotted by US people, but we would not have been sighted on that). The point is that MADL offers very fast data transfer rates, with low probability of interception, and decent ranges. (I'm being vague here on grounds of security, more more importantly, it's the limit of my knowledge). In the case of integration of the aircraft with UK QEC class ships, MADL offered an excellent way to provide mission data updates to aircraft ranged on deck at a high alert state. (This was a part of UK requirements for what was then called FJCA). The only alternative around at the time was to go out and manually load a new mission plan via the data 'brick', or to try to use Link 16. MADL, as far as I remember, offered much faster and more secure data transfer than any other method we could come up with. I believe that a preliminary study was carried out.

At present, F-35 is the only aircraft fitted with MADL, again as far as I know. However, I'd expect it, or developed versions, to become a common data link system in coming years. That would apply to both air and ground platforms. Hope this helps a bit,

Best regards as ever to those building the data pipes,

Engines