PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JET AIRPLANE CRITICAL ENGINE
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2016, 08:44
piratepete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JET AIRPLANE CRITICAL ENGINE

It is well established that due to P factor a propellor engined aircraft, given certain prop rotation relative to the airplane body has a CRITICAL ENGINE for the failure case of one powerplant.However I have been asked, as an instructor on Jets, if the same concept applies to a Jet Airplane.I do not know of any reference to support this idea (Look at SKYBRARY.AERO for example, a very very good source of aviation knowledge), and asked how this question has arised.The universal reply was that certain Interview Panel Pilots in many airlines were asking this silly question and when the applicant said there isnt a critical engine on a jet aircraft they were told the answer is a definate "yes" and they had demonstrated poor technical knowledge! The only issue I can relate to this silly idea is if you have a significant crosswind then the UPWIND ENGINE if it fails might be considered the more critical failure as you have the weathervane effect coupled with the engine swing BOTH COMBINING thus requiring a larger rudder application to keep straight etc.However every manufacturer ive talked to said THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CRITICAL ENGINE on a Jet airplane, so the argument is not valid from these "PANEL EXPERTS", its rubbish.Any comments, thoughts?