PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2016, 16:12
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Globefish & Alf: and others who have commented, not just on this topic, but in general. IMHO it is the case that in some scenarios, especially with large startle factor, SOP's don't always come to your aid. By that I mean this: you as a pilot feel the need to abort a landing. It could be at minima, close to the ground or on the ground. One will have more of a startle factor than another. One will have been briefed more than the other. One will have been practiced more than the other.
If you execute the low startle factor well briefed manoeuvre it is likely to go OK. The SOP's will kick in. You have spare capacity to think and be aware of what's going on. Both of you know & understand the scenario.
Now you end up in one of the other scenarios where you need to think as a basic pilot, but are slowed down by trying to remember the SOP that doesn't seem to quite fit the scenario. It would be easy to jumble up the sequence or forget items. You try, because in the sim you are berated if your don't follow SOP's. Your airmanship brain is confused because you feel the need for discretion, but hesitate and try to spit the correct words out and do the correct actions.
Go back to being a basic pilot. A GA in a Cessna is similar to an all engine a/c; i.e. no rudder necessary. It's power up, speed up, nose up, gear up. The brain can stay clean & clear. It's called KISS.
I wonder if the rigid SOP's have made it difficult, unnecessarily?
I have flown for one airline whose GA SOP call outs & actions make me need to go to RADA for a week. Now transpose them to this scenario. I hate to think.
I've also flown for airlines whose dogma was "the SOP's will keep you safe." Hm???